2/16/2009

The Reaper, The Keeper, Rzarector, and The Undertaker

Gravediggaz in my opinion is the most underrated hip hop act and one of the greatest. The dark supergroup was formed in 1994, bringing together Prince Paul (The Undertaker) Frukwan (The Gatekeeper), Too Poetic (The Grym Reaper), and RZA (The Rzarector). The group's name stands for resurrecting the mentally dead from their state of unawareness and ignorance.

Here's what RZA had to say about the start of Gravediggaz. "When it came time for the Gravediggaz, Prince Paul was thinking about putting a group together. He wanted to get some good MCs. Poetic was another dope MC who was underrated out on Long Island. He had one single out on Tommy Boy that didn't take off, but he was a dope MC. As the Grym Reaper, you know how many dope lyrics he dropped. Frukwan, one of the top lyricists out of Stetsasonic. He and Paul were friends already. He told him about me. He said, "I know this one guy who is super-dope." At the same time, I was also trying to do Wu-Tang. I was trying to start my own company and stuff, so when Paul called me up and invited me to his crib on Long Island and told me his idea for forming this group, I thought it would be an honor to be in a group with him. But I told him, "I'm also producing a group, and I'm also part of a family that I'm building." He said, "Yo, that's crazy." We would talk a lot of times. ODB came to his house a lot of times with me. Meth, too. We all would just go there and try to find ways to get out of the streets. Me, I was trying to get out of the ghetto. Paul had a lot of respect for me, so he helped me break out of it. I think he liked that I was so dark, but I didn't know I was dark."

1994: 6 Feet Deep (Niggamortis)
1997: The Pick, the Sickle and the Shovel
2002: Nightmare in A-Minor
2004: 6 Feet Under

No comments: